The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

What is the current research on the use of EPAs, specifically Ultrasound and Laser, on someone with epilepsy?

My understanding is that we can't use NMES , IFC, TENS on someone with epilepsy, but what about Ultrasound or laser (on their ankle)? Their seizures are controlled with medications.

Thanks

Timberly

2 years ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

luisef258
luisef258

Ih Timberly As already stated I also can't see any contraindications in both techniques when properly used. About LASER, this site has a lot of useful information. http://www.laserannals.com/2018/01/14/facts-and-myths-about-low-level-laser-therapy/ Regards

Last updated 2 years ago

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Dear Timberley I concur with my colleagues that I am not aware of US or Laser being contraindicated for epilepsy Manufacturers of NMES units do stipulate that these should NOT be used with epileptic patients. This is because they need to demonstrate that it will not cause harm. My standpoint is that if it is printed in black and white, in the very unlikely event of a patient having a seizure then I would be answerable Cliff

timberly409
timberly409

Thanks very much! All very helpful.

Dr Sandy Rennie
Dr Sandy Rennie

Hi Timberly. I concur with Professor Watson. The one precaution I have seen is with pulsed LEDs or pulsed visible laser (Helium Neon) near the eyes as the flashing could create problems in patients a propensity to seizures. However if laser goggles are worn by the patient, or they avert their eyes to avoid seeing any light, the chance of problems is significantly diminished. Regards, Sandy

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Timberly. Thank you for submitting your query. I can see nothing in the contraindication literature that would indicate Ultrasound or Laser being contraindicated in a patient with epilepsy - and especially true if it is controlled by medication. I would also doubt whether NMES, TENS and other e stim are actually completely contraindicated - though I know that they get listed. My understanding is that all reported adverse events (like the stim instigating an epileptic episode) have been when the stim was delivered in the head/neck/upper thoracic/upper quadrant areas - so if the patient had a history of epilepsy, was stable on meds and you wanted to do E Stim to the knee or ankle (for example), I can't see that it would be absolutely contraindicated. Appreciate that the latter point might be considered controversial - I would welcome comments from others - but in relation to your main question, neither the ultrasound nor the laser would be contraindicated in my opinion. Hope that might help. Tim

1-6 of 6

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: