The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Is there any contraindication for Therapeutic Ultrsound of ligaments under a tatoo?

Can Therapeutic Ultrasound be use on stucturs under a tatoo?

Byron Demond Kilgore

1 year ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Byron. So far as I am aware, there are no significant issues with ultrasound applied over a tattoo, and certainly on low dose (preferably pulsed mode) I can not forsee why there would be a problem. Laser can be problematic firectly over a tattoo and if you look back on this forum, there was a post and subsequent discussions a couple of years back about using interferential over a tattoo, but with ultraound, there is no light going into the tissue and nor is there any electrical current, so it is fine so far as I am aware. Interested to hear if anybody else has experienced any issues with this application. Tim

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Agreed. To get a thermal effect with US it would need to be on continuous mode and for quite some time. Keep communicating with your patient and it should be fine

lochingai197
lochingai197

Officially, no. No document mentions about this yet.

Physically, there are highly conductive compounds in tattoo inks, continuous ultrasound may cause a rapid increase in temperature on the tattoo.

For hygiene, direct contact ultrasound using gel may need to be aware of. Especially some minor wound perhaps.

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: