The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Is pulsed shortwave considered non-ionising and so safe over growth plates?

I read Prof Ah-Cheng Goh (2018) said as it is non-ionising it is safe but I have read elsewhere stated as a precaution.

I would appreciate an expert opinion

Fiona

2 years ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Steve.Snelling342
Steve.Snelling342

Tim, just a bit unsure as how to proceed with shortwave over growth plates. By precautions what would these be, (Let me know the title of the book and I’ll try and get a pre-publication order in for it from Amazon. Kind regards, Steve.Snelling@PhizBiz.com

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Fiona. Have replied to you individually by e mail but for the sake of others who might be interested, this is my consideration on the topic. Having just completed a total revision of the contraindications, dangers and precautions for all EPA modalities for the new edition of the textbook (at the publishers right now - out soon - hopefully), when it comes to pulsed shortwave and growth plates, it is allocated a 'precaution' and not a contraindication, based on the current evidence. Appreciate that many therapists have either heard, been taught, or read that it is contraindicated, but that is not the case - precaution only. Hope that might help the ongoing discussion on the topic. Regards. Tim

fkphysio556
fkphysio556

Dear Niki

thank you so much for your reply however I was a little confused by the answer. Can you confirm you mean pulsed shortwave is NOT a problem to the growth plates?

Thank you so much

Fiona

Niki Giada
Niki Giada

Shortwave has a lengthwave and power far away from X-Ray, Alfa Beta Gamma Ray. Obvious that isn't ionizing.

About the growth plate...keep on mind that every electrophysical agents stimulates blood flow, growing... every deep effect EPA technology is not a big deal with growth plate, especially if done for a long period in young human.

1-5 of 5

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: