The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

What are the current recommendations regarding ESWT and the need to Ultrasound scan to confirm the diagnosis, pre treatment?

Do you recommend getting an ultrasound scan pre ESWT given there is a lack of clinical tests investigated for accuracy, particularly for the plantar fascia?

Anne-Marie Hutchison

3 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

As cliff has said, I am not aware that it is 'essential' in any way to use a sonographic / US scan before using radial shockwave. Some practitioners elect to do so - and I have no problem with that - I would do the same if the option was available. If using focused shockwave, I would be inclined to use a scan - but on the basis that I would want the confidence that the target was known and would provide a clinical outcome measure to complement other clinical assessment outcomes - if there is a 'rule' out there, it is a new one on me

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Hi Anne-Marie The ISMST recommend DUS for use only with focused shockwave. As per my previous post though this is generally only applicable to FSWT that uses piezo electric technology. Electomagnetic FSWT have a larger therapeutic area surrounding the focal point If, of course, you are looking to identify whether there is an associated heel spur then imaging may be warranted With Radial Shockwave there is no need to use DUS Cliff

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: