The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

VNS and Vital Stim

Is okay to use Vital Stim for a patient who has a VNS magnet to control seizures? Thank you!

Megan Cawlfield

10 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Dinesh Verma
Dinesh Verma

Hi - Sorry for late reply - Having myself involved with ESTiM for Dysphagia training - I would suggest absolutely NO. Application techniques involving Vitalstim would classically recommend Anterior Neck placement of Electrodes with Current at high intensity levels of Motor contraction and as I read thorough - VNS wire would pass through - close to this region....hence should be avoided. Regards - Dinesh

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Megan. Thanks for your query. Generally speaking, if the patient has any kind of implanted powered device, it is safest to consider the use of e stim to be a contraindication until established otherwise. I tend to be more 'liberal' with regards contraindications than many others, BUT there is a potential for the stimulator to have an influence on the implanted device, AND if this happens, the outcome could be serious. The manufacturer should have details of potential interference and it will be interesting to see what they say. I would (personally) hold off till I was sure one way or the other. Tim

fisioniki289
fisioniki289

Anyone can give me a specific LINK with info about this VITAL STIM? :) Thanks!

L.Laakso335
L.Laakso335

Hi Megan. A great question and one I have not specifically come across before. However, I am in agreement with Rick. I am assuming the 2 devices are being proposed for use as per their specific purpose and intent (swallowing and epilepsy prevention)? In which case the issue of device shielding is important to know given the potential proximity for use and potential leakage of energy from one to the other. I look forward to learning what others think. Liisa

Rick
Rick

I would suggest that in the first instance the answer is no. Further to that, you may look at contacting the manufacturer of the VNS device to affirm one way or another. They may have been able to shield interference in design. We have been working with Cochlear implant engineers of a manufacturer in determining safe use and distances etc. The engineers of the VNS device may have already data in this regard.

1-6 of 6

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: