The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

using interferential on the jaw

is it safe, being on the head?

Zephaniah Waks

7 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Dr Sandy Rennie
Dr Sandy Rennie

Hi again Zeph.

Perhaps you should consider trying TENS instead of IFC. See this article by Abe et al for TENS and the TMJ. Journal of Clinical Medicine 2020:9, 3330;doi:10.3390/jcm9103330

Cheers, Sandy

zeph.waks940
zeph.waks940

thanks 4 that! i took the gamble & tried it b4 your reply. when i turned it up to feel sth, it played with an eye muscle, lightly spasming it! turning it down did nothing at all, & in fact i saw somewhere that it doesn't much help jaw pain. cheers, & thanx 4 giving professional advice on a forum like this, z

Dr Sandy Rennie
Dr Sandy Rennie

Hello Zephaniah.

Yes Interferential current is safe to use on the jaw. It may be best used in pre-modulated mode with one channel and two electrodes as opposed to the traditional 2-channel, 4-electrode approach.

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: