The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Use of Ionotophoresis for Allergies

I cannot find a doctor or any medical person that uses ionotophoresis for allergies here in the U.S. I have been to Poland and have had the treatment and it works great. They insert a nasal gauze pad (cylindrical) soaked in calcium. Ten minutes at 0.7 mamp does the trick. Five treatments - once per day. Every year I was having to blow just one side of my nose like every 20-30 min. And two years ago, we went to Poland and I tried this treatment. My symptoms went away completely. I also did again this year with the same result.

Has anyone heard of this used in the U.S.??

If I cannot find someone here in the states, I am considering using my TENS unit and treating myself. I see that it should be a calcium chloride solution (2-5%) and I will soak some nasal pads in that. Anode on my nose and the cathode on my neck. That is basically what the Polish technician did. They used a Galvatronic GT-1C instead of a TENS unit, but I don't really see why I cannot use a TENS unit.
Tim

Tim Proffitt

1 month ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Indeed, agree with Prof Bellew - a TENS unit will not do the trick - biphasic current etc as explained. You can (certainly in some countries) buy an ionto unit over the counter, but appreciate that different rules operate in different countries. Sure that someone from the panel would be able to tell you the rules in the USA - I think I know, BUT that is not a safe basis on which to impart info!

Prof James Bellew
Prof James Bellew

Tim, If you are a licensed health care professional (eg PT), you can purchase one. Jim

Prof Gad Alon
Prof Gad Alon

Try to place calcium chloride solution (2-5%) pad in your nose without any electrical current. You may be surprised to get the same effect

t.proffitt.re441
t.proffitt.re441

Thanks Jim. That was very informative.

Can a layman like myself be able to purchase a clinical iontophoresis device? I think the answer would be no, but I have to ask. Tim

Prof James Bellew
Prof James Bellew

Tim, Thank you for your post. I have never heard of this technique for allergies but I am intrigued. However, I see one problem with your plan: your TENS unit more than likely delivers biphasic pulsed current. Because iontophoresis is predicated on creating a unidirectional electrical field to move the medicinal ion, a biphasic current will not create the "pushing" force you need to perform iontophoresis. Iontophoresis traditionally uses direct current and maybe monophasic pulsed current (and I have even seen a biphasic current with a DC offset-- but rare). With a balanced biphasic pulsed current there is not a sustained anode or cathode as the (+) and (-) poles switch at whatever frequency rate you have selected. That being said, a clinical iontophoresis device (typical peak amplitude 4-5mA) will deliver direct current and would provide the 'push' you need to move the ion. Jim

1-6 of 6

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: