The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Ultrasound and Pulsed Shortwave Diathermy Treatment anterior neck.

Will it be safe to use the above 2 modalities on a patient who had liposuction for a double chin. She is 8 week’s post-op and has developed swelling and bruising under her chin over the last week again. Her consultant has referred her for US therapy. Just aware of all the glands and thyroid anteriorly in her neck. Have never used US or PSWD for anterior neck. Thank you!

Rentia Viljoen

6 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

renvaardt395
renvaardt395

Thank you so much for all the replies. Although she’s 8 weeks post-op, the swelling does seem fresh and not very organised. I have access to laser so will definitely consider as well.

vetphysio.herbots113
vetphysio.herbots113

Hi Rentia In the veterinary world I've very positive effects on trauma oedema, combining laser and manual lymphdrainage. Before I only used MLD but with extra laser better effects.

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Rentia. Thank you for your query. Whilst some modalities - especially those in the Electrical Stim group should be used with considerable caution over the anterior neck, there is no contraindication for ultrasound or pulsed shortwave - so either could be a clinically viable option. Agree with Liisa that Laser would also be worth considering if you have access. Of those modalities, I have used pulsed shortwave to good effect when the swelling has been 'fresh' though I would elect for Ultrasound if there is any evidence or it being more organised. Any help?

L.Laakso335
L.Laakso335

Hi Rentia. I agree with Justine that judicious massage and laser photobiomodulation is worth considering (if contraindications not evident).
How organised is the swelling?
Low intensity pulsed US might be useful with say, 3MHz transducer so that insonation is not too deep and does not penetrate to air-filled spaces such as trachea which may result in unwanted effects. Pulsed SWD also an option perhaps using magnetic field. Stay tuned for thoughts of learned colleagues who may have some evidence-based solutions for you. Would be interested to know what outcomes you achieve. Regards, Liisa

justine.waloch305
justine.waloch305

Hi Rentia, This lady would ideally be treated by a physio with Lymphatic massage therapy training. Whereabouts does she live? See MLDUK website for a list of therapists. not many are physios who can also look at some careful ultrasound. Some therapists have a hivamat machine which is lower frequency and uses alternating static currents for vibration to soften thickened swelling over large areas.. ideal for liposuction. Low level laser is also worth considering. If nothing else the hardened areas need gently breaking up asap with some sensitive hands. Best of luck. Justine Waloch

1-6 of 6

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: