The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

shockwave therapy for treating dorsal area

Hi In all contra indication for shockwave therapy it is written not to work on the dorsal spine area, but in my machine and other movies I have seen that it is possible to treat the trapezius area. Is it safe to trapezius, supra supinatus, infra supinatus?

orly platner

1 week ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Hi Orly In manufacturers hand books they state not to treat over the spine on one page of their handbook and on another give you a protocol fro facet joint treatment The reason for this is to get a licence to sell a medical product they must demonstrate that their machine will not cause harm. It is easier and cost saving for a manufacturer to blanketly contraindicate anything they havent tested. This does not mean it causes harm In Prof Tim Watson's forthcoming book: Electrophysical Agents: Evidence based practice this is explained in the contraindications chapter. In the meantime to gain reassurance I point you to the ISMST and DIGEST (German Language) websites, which provide you with guidelines on contraindications for low energy Focused shockwave and radial pressure wave You ARE safe to treat over the areas you have listed Best wishes Cliff

1-2 of 2

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: