The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Schockwave treatment to the hip whilst pregnant

Hi,

My wife recently received treatment for bursitis of the hip by a practitioner in Australia. I believe the treatment she received was radial. She is currently 6 months pregnant.

After the treatment we discovered that there are some contradictions to the treatment whilst pregnant, however the literature seems to be specific to areas directly over the womb.

Can anybody shed some light on implications, if any, that this may have on the baby?

Thanks in Advance.

Anthony Terminelli

3 weeks ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

luisef258
luisef258

Hia Anthony I understand your concern, but I totally agree with Cliff Given the characteristics of power (low), deep penetration and site of application of the RSWT there is no fear that the treatment can affect the fetus . The literature is scarce (and laboratory-only), but it seems to me very coincident when it states that only focal (high power) shock waves applied directly on the uterus can affect the fetus.

• "Fetotoxicity and teratogenesis of SWL treatment in the rabbit." Frankenschmidt A1, Heisler M. 1998 (PMID: 9531145 )
    • "Radial extracorporeal shock wave treatment harms developing chicken embryos". Maren C. Kiessling, Stefan Milz, Hans-Georg Frank, RĂ¼diger Korbel, and Christoph Schmitza, 2015 (PMID: 25655309 PMCID: PMC4319177 )

Hope this helps,

Surely everything will go well. Congratulations to the parents. :-)

Last updated 3 weeks ago

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Dear Anthony Let me reassure you. Manufacturers are required to demonstrate that their medical devices will not cause harm in order to get a licence to sell into different countries. As they cannot conduct studies to show that Shockwave will not harm a developing foetus they have to put a 'blanket' contraindication The International scientific advisory bodies like ISMST and DIGEST state (on their websites) that low energy Focused Shockwave and Radial Pressure Wave, which your wife had, are only contraindicated directly over the foetal area I hope that puts both your minds at rest Best wishes Cliff

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: