The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Safety of short wave diathermy for pregnant physiotherapist

Iam 15 weeks pregnant. I work as a physiotherapist and have to use short wave diathermy for treating my patients. Is it safe if I am exposed to short wave diathermy while treating my patients? And if not could you please suggest me any safety measures that I could use to protect myself against the radiations of short wave diathermy

Qazi

1 month ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

We did have an indepth look at this issue some years back and published some guidance (in the UK, through the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy). That same guidance is still in place - nothing has changed in the literature so far as I can see. The guidance is detailed on the website (www.electrotherapy.org). Essentially, if the patient is pregnant, they should not be treated with shortwave or other RF applications - potentially puts the foetus at risk). If the therapist is pregnant, the guidance suggests that they should NOT operate shortwave devices and should remain at least 1 metre from a working machine. Clearly the further away the better, but 1m was the minimum separation. Tim

nadinneroman667
nadinneroman667

The “books are saying” you should keep space between you and the electrodes/wires about 1,5 meters. As far as I know,you shouldn’t work during pregnancy with Short Wave or Magnetic Therapy. I haven’t found this info anywhere, but in my country there is a “habit” , that pregnant women should avoid working with these therapies. You should search for some guidelines.

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: