The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Phonophoresis with proteolytic enzymes for Dupuytren contracture

Hi, the idea of using proteolytic sybstances for treating scars and adhesions was buzzing me for some time. I even tried some russion product containing collagenase, advertised as exactly that - proteolytic enzyme product for treating scars. It had no effect, but here's what I found in one chiropractic site, describing an non-surgical approach to Dupuytren's contracture : "...pulsed phonophoresis of trypsin, alpha chymotrypsin, and hyaluronidase to enhance proteolytic alteration of the fibrous components with 2.5 percent lidocaine ointment in the coupling menstruum...". I beleive the lidocaine is for reduction of the pain from the forceful stretching of the cords following the phonophoresis. Does anybody have any idea how to prepare a solution of proteolytic enzymes that can be used for phono- or ionophoresis? P.S. The russian product is called Fermenkol. It is dvertised as good treatment for mild cases of DC. There is cream for phonophoresis and solution for iontophoresis. Tried them both on real Dupuytren patients . Nothing spectacular as a effect.

Georgi Petrov

1 year ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

gvpetrov223
gvpetrov223

Prof Gad Alon said:

Just be aware that if not water-based preparation, the US energy is blocked and will not reach the target area. Similarly, if there is not at least one clinical study showing objective data of recovered joints ROM following a series of treatments of DC, you should not expect "spectacular" results.

Thank you prof Alon. Maybe I can be the first to make an objective study, I only don't know how to prepare the solution.. :) Btw there are videos in youtube showing how trypsin works - simple chemistry. Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Ts4V_osvo&t=309s. So they use water solution but I just dont know where to buy the ingredients and in what proportion to mix them...

Prof Gad Alon
Prof Gad Alon

Just be aware that if not water-based preparation, the US energy is blocked and will not reach the target area. Similarly, if there is not at least one clinical study showing objective data of recovered joints ROM following a series of treatments of DC, you should not expect "spectacular" results.

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: