The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Is shockwave therapy safe during pregnancy

Hi,

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with plantar fasciitis for the past few months. My physio has booked 3 sessions of shockwave therapy starting next week. I was wondering whether this is safe to do during pregnancy?

Kerry hole

4 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

wendy226
wendy226

I would also have the conversation that says do you actually have plantar fasciitis, or is it a neural dynamic problem coming from the SIJs?

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

This has come up in discussion previously (http://www.electrophysicalforum.org/forum/topic/delivering-shockwave-when-pregnant) but that was primarily concerned with a therapist who was pregnant rather than the patient. The last (newest) response in the thread from Cliff Eaton identified that there were areas where shockwave should not be used during pregnancy, but so far as I can see, your plantar fasciitis would be far away from these areas. If concerned, strongly suggest that you discuss with the therapist delivering the treatment before you commence session 1

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: