The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

IF therapy on middle joint of middle finger

I have a mild subluxation in my middle joint and have had several Prolotherapy sessions on it...my doctor says IF therapy would help with healing.

Could someone help me with electrode placement? I have gloves also but there is only one connection...would I be able to use gloves to help with healing? Many thanks for any help!

Mary Koetting

4 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

marykoetting509
marykoetting509

Thank you Wendy! So very generous of you and Sandy to give me guidance and I'm very grateful.

I have tried the water method...I don't feel very much electricity using the IF. Should I be? I have a small unit that is supposed to have both channels being used whenever using the IF function...should I be putting 4 electrodes in the water instead of just the two?

I tried the water bath using the TENS also and it felt really good and it relieved some pain. The unit also has NMES and RUSS...could either of these help heal?

I will try the gloves tonite and but I'm still limited to 2 electrodes so I don't know if I'm having a real IF treatment.

Thanks so much!

wendy226
wendy226

You can use an electrically conductive glove - just put a standard large electrode on some other part eg your upper arm. We use gloves for patients with RA for instance. We do also use the waterbath technique described above. I would suggest 45 - 90Hz to increase the circulation and healing for the ligaments etc with relatively poor blood supply. (0 -100Hz was the standard frequency sweep that the original machines produced). 10 Hz will also increase the healing rate via the immune system, so I would suggest 45 - 90Hz for 20mins and then 10Hz for 10mins. You can do this twice a day if you can manage it and it should be a lot better within a week. Don't forget to move it too -100s of pain free movements!Hope that helps.

marykoetting509
Dr Sandy Rennie
Dr Sandy Rennie

Hi Mary. I’m not sure about gloves with IFC - I’ve only seen one used with HVPC. However in your situation I would try using a hand bath technique with premodulated (one channel) IFC. Place two IFC electrodes on the bottom of a plastic basin in about 3 cm of water and place your hand in between the two electrodes. I would recommend cycling 0-100 Hz frequency for 20 minutes. Good luck! Sandy

1-5 of 5

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: