The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

has anyone got sore and leisuns from electro therapy

I was going to therapy for peripheral neuropathy. One day after many treatments on the electro machine which stayed on twice as long that day. Plus they always ask me if i can feel a tingling sensation but i don't have much feelings in my lower legs, so I really dont no high they turn up the machine I went home that day not feeling any different, but the next morning I woke up with 10 or 12 sores (looked like burns) on my calfs between my ankles and upper calf, not under the electrodes. They got much in the next few days.

Phillip W Leigh

4 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

phillipleigh1943568
phillipleigh1943568

A dermatologist said he has seen it before. As you get older or have some kind of diabetes or both, when you have this electro treatment it can separate the top layer if skin from the next causing leasunes because the outer skin layer is thin. You need to keep the currant lower and shorter periods of time.

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Ok Phillip If it hasn’t happened again then put it down to one of those things. It is dangerous to second guess why this happened. Poor quality or old electrodes could be a contributory factor Cliff

phillipleigh43561
phillipleigh43561

All my burns were between the electrodes, Above my ankles and about 10 inches below my knees. The sores are about well after 3 months of medical trearment and a lot of severe pain. I have a lot of pictures of the sores. It hasn't happened again since that one day. The only time in my life.

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Dear Phillip With monophasic current it is possible to create blisters under the electrodes but you are saying that this was not the case. I therefore agree with my colleagues you need to show them to your therapist asap Cliff

gvpetrov223
gvpetrov223

That should have been monophasic current. If you use monophasic current and you are not careful - then you get burns. You should take proper care of those.

phillipleigh43561
phillipleigh43561

I did they dont think there equipment did that so i went to other doctors who said they never seen that before

luisef258
luisef258

Hi Phillip In my opinion the appropriate thing to do is to show, as soon as possible, those "sores" to your Physical Therapist, as they can leed to serious lesions if they are electric burns. I'm sure he'll come up with an answer to your concerns. Regards

Last updated 4 months ago

1-8 of 8

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: