The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Electrotherapy and dry needling

Hello everyone! My topic is about dry needling and electrotherapy in various conditions (neuro and MSK). In the marketplace the equipment for electro-acupuncture (EA) offers low frequency TENS. Has anyone tried different electrotherapy modalities except TENS? Is there any research / literature about this?

Dimitrios Rafailidis

3 weeks ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Oscar Ronzio
Prof Oscar Ronzio

Hi Dimitrios. I´ve been using/researching since many years the usage of galvanic microcurrent with acupunture needles for treating tendinopathies and trigger points. It´s very different to electro-acupunture because the aplication makes electrolysis due to it´s a galvanic current. So.. Be carefull!

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

We have a trial - data collection completed, analysis underway - in which we were comparingf different delivery systems - needle acupuncture, electro-acupuncture and TEAS - which is effectiely the application of normal TENS electrodes directly over the acupuncture point. The electroacupuncture seems to have generated the strongest response - not surprisingly - but using a standard TENS with standard TENS skin surface electrodes actually got quite close - and for some patients who don't like needles, a far more preferable option. Appreciate that this is not a direct answer to your query, but I (professionally) can use TENS, but I can't put needles in - so it gives me an option that I can utilise. Tim

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Hi Dimitrios I know that electro acupuncture is a popular modality in the Nordic countries. The published literature is scarce, although I am sure Tim will have some on his database. As for using other wavelength types other than TENS, I am not aware of any. The purpose is to provide pain relief, which is seems to provide in the studies I have read on OA Knee Cliff

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: