The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Capsular calcification MTPJ

I have a 79 year old patient with a painful 2nd metatarsophalangeal joint. Diagnostic ultrasound reports a post traumatic or capsular calcification linear area lateral and plantar to the 2nd MTPJ. We have a chatanooga radial pressure wave machine, Could anyone advise if radial pressure wave may be helpful, and if so, the mechanism by which the treatment could help? Advice on transmitter and dosage would be appreciated. Many thanks.

jaqueline parsons

1 month ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

jackie554
jackie554

Hi yes all I could find was info on tendon calcification. Patient does not have any recollection of injury so assume long standing chronic.

luisef258
luisef258

Hi Jaqueline. There is some evidence about RSwT on tendon calcification. However I'm not sure that form this studies can be translated to capsular calcifications. "Comparative Effectiveness of Nonoperative Treatments for Chronic Calcific Tendinitis of the Shoulder: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials." -https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28400182 and "A systematic review of shockwave therapies in soft tissue conditions: focusing on the evidence." - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23918444 . However in my practice of a dozen of years of RSWT, results in tendon calssifications are not as good as on tendon pathology without calssification. Any way for good results with RSWT condition must be chronic. Regards

Last updated 1 month ago

vikas12ka42000218
vikas12ka42000218

How old is the injury?

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: