The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Can you use TENS on someone with a cochlear implant?

I have a patient who presented with plantar fasciitis but has a cochlear implant. I have read research that is fore and against the treatment as long as the treatment is not directly over the site of the implant and is below 8cm. I also rang the cochlear implant company and they said its fine too. I wondered what everyone else's thoughts are. Thanks

Charlotte Long

2 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Charlotte I agree with Tim. Be reassured, if you consider TENS, as a useful modality to treat PF, then it should not have the implant Cliff

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Charlotte I agree with Tim. Be reassured, if you consider TENS, as a useful modality to treat PF, then it should not have the implant Cliff

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Charlotte. We have just been through all the CI's for all modalities for the updated chapter in the new textbook. For electronic implants (which would include the cochlear implants) and TENS, we have it as a LOCAL contraindication only - and I reckon the foot and the ear are sufficiently distant not to make it count as local - so all OK so far as I can see. Regards Tim

charlotte92600
charlotte92600

Thank-you. I am using in conjunction with other treatment modalities, tens to manage pain.

admin220
admin220

No its not a problem, but Tens to treat plantar fasciitis?

admin220
admin220

No its not a problem, but Tens to treat plantar fasciitis?

1-8 of 8

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: