The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Can you use shockwave over fractures?

I have a patient with a fractured Femur following an RTA in December. It has been fixated but isn't healing.

Hannah Humphries

3 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Cliff Eaton
Cliff Eaton

Dear Hanna 'High energy' FSWT has been used for delayed union and non union fractures since the early 1990s. You will find plenty of evidence to support this. You have access to iDJO. In Austria High Energy FSWT machines are now the first choice for this presentation That said I agree with Lilsa why is ESWT being considered? Is the delayed union well over the expected healing time? Remember union is delayed with a fixation. The patient should be encouraged to participate in lots of weight bearing exercises if they are not already If the clinician feels FSWT is the way forward then they will need to refer to a fracture clinic with a High Energy FSWT eg Orthotron. Clinical versions of ESWT machines will not be pertinent as they only produce low/medium energy values Best wishes Cliff

L.Laakso335
L.Laakso335

Dear Hannah, Can I ask why you are considering shock wave over a fracture? Cheers, Liisa

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: