The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Can we use Shockwave Therapy in breaking up goiter scar tissue?

We're looking into purchasing a portable size ultrasonic shockwave theraphy device that could be used to break up hardened deposits under the skin, specifically, goiter scar tissues.

Would you be able to give some recommendations/suggestions on which which device might work considering sound wave frequencies, and the like?

Thank you!

Michelle Smith

2 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Like Prof Laakso, I would agree that whilst there is no specific contraindication listed for scar tissue in goiter, I would be extremely cautious and given a choice I (personally) would not be using it for this clinical presentation. I am sure that someone out there will be doing so / will have done so, but that does not necessarily make it sound clinical practice. I am more liberal with contraindication issues than many, but on this one, I would refrain

L.Laakso335
L.Laakso335

Hi Michelle. I would not recommend using shockwave therapy (ESWT) in the region that you are thinking of. ESWT is a pressure disturbance technique (generated by either electrohydraulic, electromagnetic or piezoelectric methods). The primary evidence of efficacy is in chronic and calcific tendinopathy where the therapy stimulates healing via conversion of shock waves to release of biochemical factors such as TGF-beta-1. It has been shown also to promote vascularisation and suppress nociception. Although I suspect the following are based more in theoretical risk, the contraindications are reported to include lungs, eyes, brain, major blood vessels and major nerves, open wounds, implanted devices and epiphyseal plates. Relative contraindications are reported to be genitalia, pregnancy, clotting disorders, anti-coagulant therapy, joint replacement, infection, cancer and recent corticosteroid injection. I hope this helps. Regards, Liisa Laakso

1-3 of 3

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: