The Electrophysical Forum aims to provide an interactive platform for questions, comments, discussion and opinion related to the use of Electro Physical modalities in therapy. It is supported by an Internationally renowned expert panel and a broad sphere of clinicians, researchers, educators and students. Active participation is welcomed.

Ask a question and get it answered by your peers and respected experts

Answer a question and be recognised, raising your international profile

Create a link to us from your website, blog or social media platform.

Best Settings for Lower Back Injury

We have a NexWave through Zynex Medical with the following control settings.

1. IFC; LoHi, Low, Cmb
  2. TENS; Swp, Lmd, Hmd
  3. NMES; 30:10, 20:10, 10:10

I injured my lower back while lifting on a yard project. What I want is the setting for what would primarily be healing, I don't have horrible pain any longer, the muscle is tight and sore. Also; best placement of Pads. They show a X pattern and top and bottom, how far should they be apart in either pattern, pain is in one spot with typical discomfort spread around region. Pretty much at base of spine on the right side of spine.

Michael Andrew

6 months ago

Back to General Electrotherapy

Post a reply

Prof Tim Watson
Prof Tim Watson

Michael. The use of Elec Stim (whether TENS, IFC or NMES) in back pain is primarily used as a means to facilitate pain relief - and there is good evidence out there (certainly for TENS and IFC) to say that it is effective WHILE IT IS ON. There is nothing that I know of in the research to suggest that any of these currents will facilitate repair of damaged tissues. The NMES will assist if strengthening of your muscle is an intention, but it is impossible to say from here I am afraid. If there is damaged tissue which is giving rise to the continued problem, you really need to see someone who can identify the problem and then come up with a solution which has the best chance of getting a useful result. I resppectfully suggest that the device you mention is not capable of doing this - though of course, others might not agree. Tim

1-2 of 2

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: